Search This Blog

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Conversation with an Atheist

Below are tweets from my conversation with @thefreedomguy. 


Q: RT I have never seen a parent care if the kid doesn't want to take part in mysticism and usually force and coerce 'belief

R: I think you are saying that parents should not force belief on kids and just let them believe what they want. I don't agree. Religion has clear lifetime benefits related to physical and mental health. Denying kids religion denys them these benefits which have been well researched. 
Most people won't be religious if they don't have that experience as a child.   Sometimes kids have to be told to go to church because it is a family event. Children need to be involved in the family, even if they don't want to. After all no person can be "forced" to believe anything.
Q:  Which values? Truth? So, you learn truth by your parents lie about an invisible sky ghost who is so all powerful he......cannot even prove his own existence.
R: If it is true that God exists then they are not lying. If parents believe it's true then they are not lying either. It may be false but not a lie.  

Also, I can wiggle my ears, but I don't do it. Not doing something doesn't mean you can't do it. So saying that God can't prove his existence because he hasn't done so to you is not very logical.
Q: All "laws" punishing people based on what they ingest are based on religion, being in Utah you should know how strict it is.

R: Guess you mean alcohol and drugs, alcohol & drugs are a problem for public health. Russia, an atheist county, banned drugs. It's not about religion. Many atheist countries have laws that control substances. 
 Q: all fine values and lessons if you want to be a delusional sociopath I guess... 

R: I am not familiar with the Christian Sociopath. I am fairly familiar with the atheist sociopath: Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot.

2 comments:

  1. Nice how you only posts little parts of what I said to suit what you wanted to say... There are a lot of logical fallacies, assumptions, opinions with no backing here, so it's hard to know where to start, let's just start here:

    "I think you are saying that parents should not force belief on kids and just let them believe what they want. I don't agree."

    Does that mean you think your kids are simply your property? You get to decide what to do with your property and you are saying you don't agree that you shouldn't force kids to believe in stuff. Where do you draw the line?

    What if you believe the world is flat, like in the bible, and your kids want to follow reason and evidence and disagree?

    What do you do if they still disagree with you after you attempt to coerce them into believing? Hit them? Imprison them in their room for not believing? What if they don't want to take part in your 'flat earth' meetings, do you simply call it a "family event" and punish them for not going?

    Coercing a helpless child to believe in superstition and hate sounds like child abuse, but that's just me.

    Just to be clear, what I meant was that I don't agree with forcing and coercing a child to believe in anything. I believe in giving children the mental and intellectual tools they need to figure out reality for themselves. Reality is a scary place for mystics and the superstitious, but it is the only REAL place there is and giving children the tools to experience, process, and safely maneuver through it does not require coercion.

    I teach my kids about crazy things like the scientific method, reason, evidence, self ownership, self esteem, the non-aggression principle and voluntarism. I don't treat them like property that I get to push around, FORCE to partake in anything I deem as 'family time', and indoctrinate into believing any random mysticism I was forced to believe.

    And we didn't even get into making you back your claims that religion has clear benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you asked him if he has any church background; and if so, was it positive or negative? and why was it positive or negative?

    ReplyDelete