Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Beet and Orange Salad

Beet and Orange Salad
I want to get my kids to eat more vegetables but every time I cook a vegetable I want to put about a 1/2 pound of butter on it. My problem not theirs.  This was good and easy to make.

Ingredients
  • Two 14.5 oz cans of beets.  I used sliced beets but now that I am looking at the picture, maybe cute round beets would have looked better.
  • Red Onion - 1/4 large
  • Clementine Oranges - 4  I used these because I had them around for neighbor Christmas gifts but I bet you could use the canned Mandarin oranges if they were drained. 
  • Rice Wine Vinegar  - 1 tablespoon ( or Sherry Vinegar)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1 tablespoon
  • Sugar - 2 teaspoons
Prepare
Onions - Slice very thinly.  I cut them into quarters as you can see in the picture.
Peel clemenine oranges, separate the wedges and cut each in half crosswise to expose the inner lusciousness
Beets - drain


Mix
Stir all together, let sit for about 1/2 hour then serve.   Do not let this sit overnight.  It tasted somewhat bitter the next day.  I think maybe the pith from the orange was the culprit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment