Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

The start

The impetus for this blog were two fold. First, I cleaned out my pantry and found out that I have a lot of stuff in my pantry that I have not used for a long time. Second, I found out my hours are going to be cut back at work and I will have to get by on half of what I was earning.

I put two and two together and decided that I really need to figure out how to use all the stuff in my pantry.

When I was cleaning out my pantry I found some authentic wild rice that was about 10 years old. I know that because I bought it in Wisconsin prior to moving to Utah and I moved here 7 years ago. I know I had it in my pantry for at least 2-3 years when I was in Wisconsin.

I decided to cook it and find out if it was still good. It was. I don't really like the taste of wild rice very much, but I did once make a wild rice stuffed cabbage that was pretty good. I was a vegetarian at the time and wanted to make a stuffed cabbage that did not contain meat.

Wild Rice Stuffed Cabbage

Filling
1 cup of uncooked wild rice (not brown rice, but the real wild rice)
2-3 tsp. dry basil
1/2 white onion chopped
3 med tomatoes, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves - minced
2 Tblspoon Olive Oil

Sauce
1 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tblspoon lemon juice

1 medium cabbage

Directions

Bring large pot of water to boil for cabbage to be completely submerged. Cook cabbage for 20 minutes. Remove the cabbage from the water and remove 8- 10 leaves. Store remainder for other use. Boil 2 1/2 cups water for wild rice, add pinch of salt and rice. Cook for 40 minutes or until most grains are split.

Filling - Mix wild rice, chopped tomatoes, onion, minced garlic and olive oil together for filling.

Sauce - Mix the sauce ingrediants together in a pan and cook until slightly thicker.

Assemble - put 4-5 Tablespoons of filling in a cabbage leave, fold over ends and roll. Place seam side down in a greased oven proof casserole dish, (9x13). Pour sauce over all. Cook for 3 hours at 300 degrees.


I didn't make the wild rice stuffed cabbage but I did make an egg roll filling with the wild rice. I can't remember all that I put in it but it included some frozen peas, grated carrots other stuff. It was pretty good, but a little too wild ricey.

No comments:

Post a Comment