Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Repack Hummus

My Ex gets food from neighbors and friends because he is an alcoholic and has anxiety disorder.  Because we live in Utah people have a lot of food in storage and like me I am sure they need to get rid of some stuff they have had around for a while and realize they are never going to use.  So, instead of paying his child support my Ex brings me the food that he has left over from the food that his friends have left over.

This sort of reminds me of the birthing coach we had in Wisconsin when I was pregnant with my first son.  They were dirt poor and complete hippies.  They grew their own food and had a family bed which they shared with their 3 year old daughter who was named Sage.  Their 3 year old daughter was still breast feeding.  I was at a session when the three year old walked up sat on her mom's lap, pulled up her shirt, and started breast feeding....I just don't think that is right.  I pointed out to our birth coach that sage is one of the herbs recommended for women to reduce the flow of breast milk. A bit ironic!  You would expect them to be vegetarians but, no, almost their entire diet was made up of road kill.  They knew someone from the county who was responsible for going around and picking up road kill when residents called in.  I don't want to know how they cook any of that or what it looks like when they get it.

So, leftovers of leftovers was what I was making today.  There were no mixing ingredients on the outside of the package so I was a little afraid of opening the bag.  Hello, there was a card inside with directions.  I made it, following the directions exactly.  I put in on my homemade bread with delicious crisp romaine lettuce.  The first two bites were ok but then the taste became bitter.  I ate about half of the sandwich and threw the rest away.  Maybe I used too much on the sandwich and it was overwhelming?  I don't know but I have about 4 cups of hummus in my fridge that I will probably throw down the sink.

The hummus package ingrediants were: Garbanzo flour, sesame tahini, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, spices, sea salt, lemon powder, citric acid, expeller pressed toasted sesame oil, lemon, and lemon oil.


I have made fresh hummus and what a difference that was! 

Fresh hummus from the Joy of Cooking:

2 cups canned garbonzo beans (chick peas)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
salt to taste

Puree until smooth, add liquid to create a smooth consistency. 

If you use as a dip - put in small bowl and garnish with 1Tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley, sprinkling of hot or sweet paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment