Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Surprize - unlabled can

Among the cans brought over by my neighbor was an unlabeled can.  Yes!!!  I have been waiting for this!  It had "food storage"  written on the top in black magic marker.  I could not wait to open it.  Well, it was peas.  Not very exciting.

They tasted like.... canned peas.  But these had a tinny flavor to them.  Not at first but after a few bites I could taste the tin can flavor.  I have no way of knowing how old it was. 

My kids have been opening cans and tasting the kid friendly stuff like the Chef Boyardee Macaroni and Cheese in a can or the individual servings of Mac and Cheese in the microwave container.  The Chef Boyardee Macaroni and cheese definitely tasted like a tin can.   He loves Mac and Cheese in any form but he didn't eat this at all.  He didn't like the individual microwavable Mac and Cheese either.

I had no idea that vegetables could pick up the tin can flavor.  I just assumed that the canning industry would have figured this out already.  I have not used canned vegetables very much except for tomatoes which seem to overwhelm any canned flavor and I use a lot of them.   I wonder about the lining used in some of the brand name vegetable cans.  The unlabled peas, above, were in a tin can that was not lined.  I am wondering if the tin can flavor is diminished if the lining is used or if it picks up other flavors instead.  I will have to search my basement for brand name and private label brand cans that are the same age to see if there is a difference in flavor.

In any case, the boxed Mac and Cheese definitely wins over the canned variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment