Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Margarine or Butter

My Mother grew up on a dairy farm in Central Ohio.  She grew up sneaking into the kitchen and skimming the cream off the top of the fresh, non-pasteurized milk that had been brought in from the barn that very day.  I grew up never eating margarine unless my mother cooked with it.  We used it for baking but we never had margarine on the table.  I have tried "I can't believe its not butter" type of spreads, but I can taste the difference.  Consequently I have never had anything but butter in my house either.  We ran out of butter the other day and when I went to the store, the margarine was $1.20 per lb. cheaper than the butter.  The margarine was on sale for $.69 per lb and the butter was $1.89.  This is actually a very good price for butter, but since I am in my frugal mode I decided to buy the margarine instead.

What a mistake that was.  I can't stand the taste of margarine on bread.  I guess it will keep me from eating slice after slice of my homemade bread because without butter it just doesn't taste good. 

Since we are all exceptionally healthy I just don't buy into the idea that butter is the cause of all these health problems.  I think most of the problem stems from genetic pre-disposition.  I have unnaturally low cholesterol and it has nothing to do with my diet, I eat all the mayonnaise, butter, ice cream, cream, eggs, cheese, etc. and have never used light versions of any of these.  I don't see the point.  If you are going to eat,  then eat something that TASTES GOOD!  I think when people eat bad tasting bland food, their little taste buds are always searching for more.

So my middle son, who blurts out anything says, "Gross, that tastes bad."  My oldest son who tries to conciliate and make everyone feel good says, "I can't tell the difference."  My youngest son is oblivious.

We will see what happens, I think I am going to have to move the margarine to the baking ingrediants list and use butter on the table.  I just can't see having noodles and margarine or rice with margarine, which is one of our families favorite foods.

I love the taste of noodles with fresh butter, salt and freshly ground pepper and some grated Parmesan cheese.  (And not the powdered Kraft variety in the green foil can).

1 comment: